Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Believe in "The Art of the Comeback"

Do. Not. Quit. Great players and teams overcome setbacks. How? Here are notes from a MasterClass playlist. 

Lewis Hamilton (race car driver)

"Failure is 100% necessary for success." 

"Don't take it as a negative...every successful person...they've all failed more times than they can remember." 

James Patterson (author)

"My first novel was turned down by 31 publishers."

"You have to be tireless in moving forward."

"I'm quite sure that James Patterson wrote a million words before he started "The Thomas Berryman Number." 

"It's all driven by passion...I love it." 

Jimmy Chin (photographer)

"I threw myself at training for it (the job)...and almost got wiped out by an avalanche."

"I was able to apply everything I learned on that trip."

"You have to set your sights high." 

"The stakes only get higher." 

Sara Blakely (entrepreneur)

"If it's crazy, you're on to something."

"There were so many obstacles." 

"The entire time, everyone told me, "No." The people willing to hear 'no'...that break real ground." 

"You've got three things going for you - your enthusiasm, you, and your persistence." 

"It's up to you...and only you...to sell them on this idea." 

Amy Tan (author)

"I've received my share of rejections." 

"...from The Atlantic...is beautifully written...seems to us a bit too thin." 

"...from The New Yorker...a talented writer...other readers may not be bothered by this story's lack of depth." 

"What typically happens is a form..."not for us" but you know nothing about the reason why."

Bob Iger (Disney CEO)

"...owned up to my mistakes...there's great value there." 

"I raised my hand...and admitted it was my mistake...a number of people patted me on the back for taking responsibility." 

Robin Roberts (television personality)

"Make your mess your message." 

"Her mother told her to "be their voice" (for those without resources when she had cancer.)"

"What am I supposed to learn...what can I share with others?"

"Be of service to others."

Lagniappe. "Stops make runs." What's your greatest comeback story? In 1973, we trailed St. John's Prep, the 22-0 top seed 26-12 in the second quarter in the sectional semifinals in Boston Garden. "The Prep" averaged almost 90 points a game.  They had multiple future D1 players, including a future Celtics draft choice. We scored 23 consecutive points, holding them scoreless for 8:35 en route to a stunning upset. 

Lagniappe 2. Kevin Eastman says, "It's a shoulders game." Drew Hanlen shows the sequence - shoulders, hips, and ball to separate.