Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Kentucky Layups (Drill)

I've shared this before, but it's not as though I get hundreds of 'hits'.  Try this drill...players drive to score (one line from left and one from right). Players at the ends speed dribble to the middle, then go into the opposite layup line.


Kentucky layups conditions and encourages competition. We run this drill every practice. We run two sets of 'two-minute' evolutions. I read somewhere that excellent women's college teams can get 60-70 layups in the two minutes. Last night we got 37 and 44. I'm optimistic that we can get to 50. 

The drill quickly informs athleticism and speed, finishing ability, but most important, EFFORT. Some players 'bust it' on each opportunity while others need more 'encouragement'. Ideally, by high school players learn to get to the basket in two dribbles. In middle school, I encourage a maximum of three.